Car accidents can cause a lot of new damage to a body that wasn’t already there. Things like whiplash and soft tissue injuries can cause pain and discomfort for years to come. But in addition to new injuries, car accidents also have a way of making pre-existing injuries and conditions worse.
Just when you think you might be fully healed or are finally back on the road to recovery, a car crash can feel like it’s bringing you back to the starting line.
If you’ve been recently injured in a St. Petersburg, FL, auto accident, your first step should be visiting an experienced chiropractor like the car accident chiropractors at Sea Change Wellness. Whether you’ve suffered a new injury, have exacerbated an existing one, or don’t have any immediate symptoms of injury, having the right doctor examine you after the crash is important—both for your health and your legal claim, if you have one.
Types of Pre-Existing Conditions and Injuries
The possibilities of pre-existing injuries are nearly limitless, but some injuries are more prone to be exacerbated by car accidents in particular.
Some of the most vulnerable pre-existing injuries include:
- Herniated disc
- Previously broken bones
- Injuries in the neck and back
Car accidents can also make some pre-existing conditions worse. In other words, a pre-existing medical condition can exacerbate the effects of the accident. Some examples of these kinds of conditions include:
- Degenerative disc disease
How Car Accidents Can Make Existing Issues Worse
To understand how car accidents can make existing injuries and conditions worse than before, let’s take a look at three different examples.
- Whiplash – Whiplash is an injury that occurs when there is an abrupt back and forth motion. This unnatural movement forces the neck and head forward upon impact and then sends it back immediately after. This can lead to neck, back, and shoulder pain, dizziness, migraines, and more. If you’re still recovering from whiplash from a previous accident, suffering another one can intensify symptoms and make the pain worse. It can also feel like you’re backtracking in your progress of healing from your first injury.
- Back/Neck Injuries – Back pain and neck pain can be heavily impacted by the force of an auto accident. Slipped discs can get lodged even more out of place, causing pain and immobility.
- Arthritis – Arthritis cases swelling, pain, stiffness, and limited range of motion surrounding one or more joints. Car accidents can lead to inflammatory injuries, which can make all of these symptoms worse. What may have felt manageable before may be unbearable after a car crash.
Sea Change Chiropractic Can Help
Suffering a new injury from a car accident is raw and difficult to adjust to. Exacerbating an existing injury is frustrating and can feel like a loss of progress. Regardless of the type of injury sustained from your Tampa Bay car crash, you can find peace of mind knowing the chiropractors at Sea Change Wellness are experienced and knowledgeable in the whole range of injury possibilities that can come from motor vehicle accidents.
If you or a loved one is recovering from a car accident that made existing health issues worse, don’t delay. Contact our St. Petersburg chiropractic office today to schedule a consultation so you can get back to feeling great.